I've just completed this set of nails for my sister-in-law who was attending a dress up party. She wore a cute Kimono that had a black and white coloured Obi (Sash). I did this for her to match the Obi.

Thanks to Cyan from Blue Tape and Nails who gave me the idea to use painter's tape for creating this nail art.



When I first saw this being used for nail art, I had a 'why didn't I think of that' moment. It's a really great way to cover up parts of your nail especially when you're painting different colours onto your nails. I bought this painter's tape for delicate surfaces. As you can see it's got a low-medium adhesion so it should not rip off your nail polish.



 Cover up half of your nails using the painter's tape and then paint 2 coats of white.


Once the nail polish if dry, remove the tape and you can see a nice clean line.



Using a darker colour (I used OPI - Baby It's "Coal" Outside), paint 2 coats on the other half of the nail.

 Using black acrylic, mould a rectangle strip diagonally across the nail.


Using silver rhinestones, glue 2 rows just below the black acrylic strip. For the second line, I alternate between a large and a medium size stone. I used the magical tray and pick to create this entire set of nails as it requires a lot of rhinestones. See my post from December last year where I featured the Magical Tray 'Magical New Haul'. The combination of them both cuts the time spent by half!


Cover your 3D acrylic strip with a gel top coat and cure under the UV lamp.


Complete!

Next, I'm going to show you how to create a 3D bow.

You'll need a piece of aluminium foil, black acrylic powder, monomer, acrylic brush and a small pair of scissors.


Pick up a large blop of acrylic and mould it into a flat rectangle shape onto the aluminium foil.


I'm using a slow drying acrylic powder so that you can have more time to mould the acrylic before it hardens. Once the acrylic rectangle is hard enough to be lifted from the foil, slowly lift it using a pincer. Using a pair of scissors, trim off the 4 sides of the rectangle so that you get a straight line.



Using the pincer again, pinch the acrylic rectangle in the middle to form a bow.

Create a smaller strip of acrylic rectangle and trim off the sides. Wrap this acrylic strip around the middle section of the bow while it's still soft. I used a combination of acrylic and glue to attach the bow onto the nails. cover bow with gel top coat and cure for 90 seconds.


This is the completed bow attached onto the nail tip.


 These are the design for the rest of the nails.





It looks quite complicated creating this bow, but it was quite easy once you start making it. This is the first time I'm creating the 3D acrylic bow using this method. Please let me know if you've got any questions.

Comments (15)

On May 9, 2010 at 11:49 PM , Unknown said...

omg! i want to try this!!!! thanks for the tutorial!

 
On May 10, 2010 at 12:19 AM , Jin said...

No problems Lizzy! ;)

 
On May 10, 2010 at 9:32 AM , Violet LeBeaux said...

So pretty! I've never seen slow drying acrylic before, I'll have to have a look for some because I would *love* to make a set of nails full of bows and pretty lace :D The nails look so beautiful in the then, thank you for this tutorial!

 
On May 10, 2010 at 5:26 PM , Kae said...

So pretty! I love how it turned out, the bow is perfect!

 
On May 11, 2010 at 1:44 AM , Jin said...

Violet, the acrylic powder I am using here is from Young Nails. I find it very good to use especially for this purpose. I hope you'll try making this bow. I saw it worn on my sister in law's fingerd and it's so cute! I want to make one for myself now hehe.

 
On May 11, 2010 at 1:50 AM , Jin said...

Thank you Kae! I was a bit worried making this set cos I've not done the bow before and had no idea how it may turn out. I am glad you like it ;)

 
On May 11, 2010 at 2:13 PM , Anonymous said...

I agree with Kae, so pretty and yes, the bow is perfect! Another stunning set! :)

 
On May 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM , Jin said...

Thanks Danielle! I am thinking of mixing clear acrylic with red glitter to see if it can also be moulded into a bow! Just bought the OPI suede can't wait to try it!

 
On May 12, 2010 at 9:12 AM , Anonymous said...

Oooh, I looked at OPI suede as well. Let me know what it's like ;) I'll be interested to see if the red bow works! Gorgeous xx

 
On May 14, 2010 at 9:10 PM , Jin said...

OPI Suede was interesting but the polish doesn't last long. I will let u know if the glitter bow works!

 
On May 14, 2010 at 9:11 PM , Jin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
On May 16, 2010 at 2:53 AM , Cyan said...

Oh, I love this! Glad someone else is getting use out of the blue tape (thanks for the mention, btw!). I love the accent of the little sparkles on the dark polish and how it helps to tie in the larger rhinestones. And the bow is just perfect!

 
On May 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM , Jin said...

Thank you Cyan! Painters tape was a great idea, I'll be using it more often now. Thinking of getting an air brush next. This tape will come on handy when I want to block up some areas for air brushing!

 
On April 9, 2011 at 7:37 AM , MIGHTYASLC said...

what did you do to make the tip stick ?

 
On April 21, 2011 at 7:54 AM , Jin said...

Hi Mightyaslc, there are 2 ways to attach the nail tips onto your nails. One way is to use regular nail glue for manicure or if you can find it, there's a double sided tape specially made for attaching nail tips. It really depends how strong you want the bond to be. Nail glue is very strong but to remove, you'll have to soak your nails in acetone. This will damage the nail tips and you'll not be able to reuse it. However, with nail tips double sided tape, it's easily removed by soaking your nails in warm water. You'll be able to keep the nail tips for reuse.