I love nautical nail designs! For some reason, I'm very drawn to this nail design and have since created 2 similar versions. The first time I created this set of nails was back in December 2010. I like it so much, I've made a similar set last week, with some slight variations. This is the first time I've worn the same design twice is such a short span of time!

It takes me approximately 4 hours to create this design. This includes removal of the previous design, reshaping and prepping the nail. The first design was created with Colour Club - Soft Chiffon  and OPI - Yoga-Ta Get This Blue!


To create this design, I coloured my nails with 3 coats of Soft Chiffon. Using a small brush, I draw 2 to 3 blue horizontal stripes, depending on nail size. Then line the stripes with gold glitter. Using white and dark pink acrylic powder, draw the 3D flowers only on the thumb, middle and ring fingers. Stick on some craft chains and rhinestones and you're done!



I used a much smaller gold chains for this nautical nail art. Not only do they look nice, they are a lot easier to wear. The bigger chains I've used previously were always getting in the way when I style my hair or wear my clothes!





This is the second set I've created last week. My nails are a bit longer which means I have slightly more room to draw on. I've also changed my nail shape and used different brands of nail polish.

2 Coats OPI - Alpine White
2 Coats CND - Studio White
The Face Shop -  BL604




There are a few things to take note of when applying these craft gold chains. After you've cut the chain length to fit the nails, make sure you close off the ends properly. If not, they can feel very sharp and will cause damage to your clothes, especially if you're wearing slik or knits.

I used to apply nail glue to my nails first before placing the chain ontop. I've since reversed this application process. Firstly, the glue will cause the gold chain to harden. If you place the chains on top of the glue, it's harder to move them around if you're not happy with the placement. Also, you want to place the chains flat, this will make them much easier to wear.



Comments (20)

On March 14, 2011 at 2:55 AM , Anonymous said...

This is really AWESOME! I love this one very much!

 
On March 14, 2011 at 7:01 AM , Liane said...

Wow, this is fantastic. Out of the two, I prefer the second one (simply because of the shape of the nails). Really stunning!

 
On March 14, 2011 at 8:27 AM , Rabbit said...

I think I will try to do simmilar design on my nails, but I think it will take me much longer.
I love the flowers you made :)

 
On March 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM , Silence is Loud said...

love love love this!!!! can you do my nails please~~>.<

 
On March 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM , Jin said...

Thank you Asami! I've actually done my toenails to match but when I uploaded my images, my husband said they look scary ;( hehe I have ugly feet.

 
On March 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM , Jin said...

Ash-Lilly, I prefer the second one too. I think this design looks better on square nails.

 
On March 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM , Jin said...

Hi Rabbit, can't wait to see yours! I really want to try making some different flower designs. I saw a nail art recently with lillies. Both 3D acrylic and hand painted. It's really good. Hope I can replicate it.

 
On March 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM , Jin said...

Thank you, Silence Is Loud. I'll gladly do them for you. But you'll have to visit me in Perth hehe ;)

 
On March 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM , Lavender and Twill said...

~ * ♥ * ~

What a lovely and complicated design ~ this is so intricate Jin. I am gob smacked. > o <

xox,
bonita of Depict This!
~ * ♥ * ~

 
On March 14, 2011 at 4:12 PM , Lacey said...

beautiful!!

 
On March 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM , Jin said...

Thank you Bonita. This is definitely a design that draws a lot attention. I get a lot of people asking me how I do it and if the chains are real. Some even ask if my fingers feel heavy? hehe

 
On March 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM , Jin said...

Thank you Lacey!

 
On March 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM , Banana said...

Wow, that is amazing design! *_* I love the blue stripes on white base, and the chains are very cool! ^^
Now I want to do a nautical design too! :D

 
On March 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM , Jin said...

Thank you Banana. I've been wearing blue and white stripes tops to match the nails. They look very good together ;)

 
On March 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM , mubynicolelocke said...

Love the chain with the stripes! very nautical feel - great job!

 
On March 16, 2011 at 2:14 AM , Unknown said...

fly me one set of these Jin!!!!! >v<
and either it's round or square, they both look AWESOME with the flower which i love a lot as well.. ^^

 
On March 16, 2011 at 8:33 AM , Jin said...

Thank you nicnacksnails!

 
On March 17, 2011 at 12:32 AM , Jin said...

Thank you Rachel! I'll make a set for you as soon as I've moved house. I'm packing all my stuff up for the move very soon it's super messy everywhere. hehe

 
On May 16, 2011 at 5:17 AM , Stephanie said...

great work of art! what brand nail glue would you suggest?

 
On February 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM , Jin said...

Stephanie I am using Young Nails glue at the moment and they work really well.