I am now slowly trying out all the new gel products I bought earlier. On Monday night, I started working on removing my previous nail art and getting my nails ready for gel. The whole process from removal, to reshaping, cleaning cuticles and applying the gel took me 5 hours! I went to bed at 2 am and spent the most of Tuesday living like a zombie!

It took me a while getting used to applying gels as they were much thicker than nail polish. This design was done by drawing alternating lines of 2 different coloured gels and then dragging a thin brush across the nails in sections. Each time I complete one nail, it needs to be cured under the UV lamp. I was impatient and did 3 nails on my left hand before curing and that just messed up the whole marbling effect. As the gel do not set unless cured, it will still move around when your hand moves. Therefore it's best to cure them one by one.

I also tried using one of the 3D gels I got. This one is a light purple colour with lots of sparkles in it. The sparkles made it a bit more difficult to mould but the effect was very pretty.

 






 

 

 




 

Comments (11)

On October 28, 2009 at 12:47 AM , Kirsten (The Dutch Nail Blog) said...

Not bad for a first attempt!
I took me six hours my first try and I didn't even do nail art.

A little tip: make your smile line a little lower so you won't have your own nail line visible after only a couple of days and make the gap near your cuticles and the sides just a little bit wider to prevent lifting.

I really want to try that 3D gel, I'll have to find a store that sells them here. You make it look so easy.

 
On October 28, 2009 at 6:42 AM , Anonymous said...

Jin! I can not even work out how I would attempt this! Just beautiful, love the tips and the lavender flowers *sighs*.... You are so artistic and talented!

 
On October 28, 2009 at 9:10 AM , Jin said...

Thank you for those helpful tips Kristen! I'll keep them in mind when I try my next gel project - Gel Extensions.
Yes you'll have to try those 3D gels I am addicted to it now! hehe...

 
On October 28, 2009 at 9:17 AM , Jin said...

*blush*... Danielle, you are too kind! I often look at those professional competition nails and wonder at their artistic talent. I hope to reach that level someday.

 
On October 31, 2009 at 10:40 AM , Shanghainese Dumpling said...

Wow that's very nice for the first attempt!! :)

 
On October 31, 2009 at 4:59 PM , Jin said...

Thank u Ena! I still need lots of practice. These gel wear really well. After 6 days it's still as good as new. I love the shiny clear look!

 
On November 16, 2009 at 11:34 PM , Lucy said...

I love this look! Also a beautiful shade of lilac. Your amazing.

 
On November 17, 2009 at 12:56 AM , Jin said...

Lucy the gel itself is a dark purple. Before I applied it on my nails, I've actually pictured it to look much darker. However it somehow blended with the silver and came up lilac. I love this combination however these gels are hard to remove.

 
On February 20, 2010 at 4:42 PM , Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

 
On March 20, 2010 at 6:20 PM , suzieduck said...

do you mind letting me know what's the brands of the 3D gel you got?

 
On March 20, 2010 at 9:16 PM , Jin said...

Hi Suzieduck the brand for the 3D gel is called Gracia.