This is my second attempt using the water marbling technique since September last year (See Water Swirl Nail Design). I really like using this technique as you can experiment with different colours and pattens.



 
First time using crushed shells. They give a very interesting textured look on the nails.


Marbling's only done on the thumb, index and ring finger. I did this set of nails on a boiling hot day. For some reason (maybe due to the heat), the nail polish refused to set! I nearly died from frustration as I had to redo a few of them several times.



  
I love crushed shells! The camera did not capture it's pearly shine.
  

  

On a totally different subject, I went shopping last week to get a dress for my friend's baby girl from this shop called gumboots. I saw this brooch and bought it for myself! Can't believe I actually bought a brooch from a kiddy clothes store! I've been wearinng it on my jacket lapel :) hehe


Oh I bought new nail art goodies again! This my new trial acrylic kit from this brand called Young Nails. I'm going to try using it for acrylic overlay over my natural nails. There's also another Young Nails product I bought called Protein Bond. I did't take a photo of it yet but I've heard many good reviews about this product. Protein Bond acts as a non acidic primer and leaves a slight sticky surface for the gel or acrylic to adhere to. It's also good as a base coat prior to nail polish application. You'll get longer wear form your nail polish especially for those people who experience chipping easily. I'm going to try this first to see if it actually works. Will let you guys know :)

I also got some coloured acrylic and a black gel.


I recently learned a new nail art technique using these tools (see below). I'll show you how it's done once I get some practice!
 

 

Comments (8)

On March 7, 2010 at 2:30 AM , Unknown said...

Marbling is really unique and nice as you wouldn't get the same pattern again but i had hard time dealing with the polish freeze on the water and could not spread.. T.T
Can't wait for your new nail art technique!!

 
On March 7, 2010 at 7:12 AM , Anonymous said...

Gosh Jin! That does look like hard work but the results are fantastic! Do the seashells catch on clothing or have you had no problems? The mani is gorgeous!

Speaking of Gumboots - how sweet is that shop! I always find something I want for our niece and nephew and yes the brooch has got me wanting to go back and visit again! I also want one of the coloured plastic 'superhero' bears at the front of the shop! Love it! Pity I have to treck to visit that shopping centre now ;)

Hopefully we are having a cooler week this week! Lovely work on your mani!!

 
On March 7, 2010 at 8:45 AM , Jin said...

Hi Rachel, you'll have to try different brands of nail polish for water marbling. Some brands do not work well at all. Also if your nail polish do not spread out in the water, you can give the container a slight shake. Allow the water to move a bit and the nail polish will start spreading. You also have to work fast. Once the nail polish hardden, you'll not be able to swirl it into different patterns. I am not sure if water temperature afffects it. I am still experimenting. This is like a sience project! Haha

 
On March 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM , Jin said...

Thank you Danielle! It was indeed very hard work for this mani. To paint and to water marble on 2 different sections on the same nail, I had to use sticky tape. But before I can do that. The nail polish must be very dry. However they refused to dry properly on that day! As for the crushed shells, they don't feel sharp when you rub your finger on them, however you have to be extra careful if you wear delicate knits and silks. One of my silk scarf got caught, but luckily it was at a corner and only very slightly.

I've joined the Gumboots mailing list so that I know when they go on sale. They have very pretty things. Hehe

 
On March 9, 2010 at 10:04 PM , Shanghainese Dumpling said...

Thanks for sharing jin, that crushed shell looks interesting, never know they can go on your nails :)

With gum boots, I also bought something for myself from taht store, i bought a navy flower headband, they give you this really nice bag i'm using that to put lachlan's nappies now hehe :)

Also the new tools, they look interesting, do you dip them in your polishes and stamp them on?

 
On March 10, 2010 at 8:24 AM , Jin said...

Ena, yes crush shells can also be used as nail nart. There come pre-coloured in many different shades. It's quite an interesting look. I'll use it again next time but might embed it under gel or acrylic.

Yah I was looking at their headband too. Some of them actually looks very cute.

Hehe no that's not how you use those tools. Although what you suggest might also work too. I'll reveal their proper usage soon. ;)

 
On March 15, 2010 at 4:49 PM , vanilla said...

hey i just found ur blog!do u mind if i feature u on my blog?thanks!:)

 
On March 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM , Jin said...

Hi Vanilla thank you for wanting to feauture my blog. I don't mind at all. ;)