It's time for the occasional weekend cook to whip up something nice for the family. With the help of my 2 very over qualified assistant, I managed to cook a Lamb Pulao and a Watermelon Curry. Both dishes were made from recipes I found on FXcuisine, my all time favourite cooking blog.

Both of these dishes calls for lots of spices which have to be manually grounded in the mortar.

While grinding them, my hands went all numb and even after that it continued to shake for a while! This reminded me very much of Yue Niang from 'The Little Nyonya" - The Only TCS drama I've watched in 10 years! However today I'm the little hokkien making indian food haha.

My "Nia Nia" hard at work

The Watermelon Curry turned out really well. Extremely spicy at first but ending with a burst of sweet refreshing juiciness. It's a great compliment with basmati rice.
As for the Lamb Pulao, the rice was extremely yummy. I replaced the lamb chunks with a leg of lamb (bone on). This made the sauce more tasty but I think the meat needs to be cooked a while longer to achieve a little more tenderness. I'll try fish or chicken pulao next time.


Comments (4)

On February 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM , theng said...

ah yes.. the traditional mortar and pestle :) used to help my grandma pound dried chilli and spices with it when i was a kid.. fun times ;)

 
On February 23, 2009 at 9:48 PM , Jin said...

Haha yes, now that you mention chilli, it reminded me of the days in Changi where we used to play with ah mah's chilli plant! We stupidly rubbed out eyes after playing with the seeds and cried like crazy ater that hahaha! Remember, we even built an ant swimming pool! Those were the days:)

 
On March 10, 2009 at 3:23 PM , Anonymous said...

Hi Jin,
Been very tied up so could not get to your blog the past few days. Your Lamb Pulao looks delicious. Feel like eating Indian food when I see it - I think I will go to Samy's curry soon!

3 Jiu

 
On March 19, 2009 at 11:59 PM , Jin said...

Lucky you. I miss FOOD from Singapore!!!