With Chinese New Year just around the corner, I've created a set of red embedded acrylic rose design for my sister.

This is my first time creating embedded acrylic flowers. They are a little bit more time consuming but they certainly look very pretty. I've decided to create a tutorial for this post. Hope you'll give this a try too.

First you'll need some red colour acrylic powder and some monomer.


I'm using a nail tip here for demo but if you're applying over your natural nails, remember to prep it as you normally would for acrylic overlay.

 Apply an even layer of the red acrylic over your nails.


After the acrylic hardens, gently roughen the surface with a nail file.


I've got 2 types of gold glitter here. One is an extra shimmery gold glitter and the other is a flaky glitter.


Apply the flaky glitter at the top part of the nail and the other one at the bottom of your nail.


Using white acrylic powder, draw a 3D rose flower. Don't make the petals too flat. Give it some thickness.
Next, I'm going to introduce to you a new product I bought. It's the Young Nails Imagination Art Liquid. The one I got is red colour, but they've also got blue and yellow. You can mix the colours together to create different shades of colours!


This clear coloured liquid is then added to your regular monomer.

Looks like blood!
 Be careful handling this liquid. It is extremely pigmented. I accidentally got some onto my skin, nails and table and it took me ages to clean it out!

Mix the red colour liquid into your monomer with a brush. Dip the brush into the red monomer mixture and then dip it into the pot of clear acrylic powder. Your clear acrylic powder will turn red.

This liquid is great because you can mix the colours and get different shades of clear acrylic. It's handy if you don't have non opaque jelly like acrylic powders.


Apply the clear red acrylic ontop of the 3D rose and cover the entire nail evenly. At this stage, you can add more glitters.


Allow the acrylic to hardden and dry out. Then use an electric file to file back the clear red acrylic until the white rose petals start to appear. You can manually file it back as well, but the electric file will definitely be faster.


Use a finer file to even out the nail and then apply a layer of gel to seal it.


These are some of the other nails that I've created using the same method. You can also just embed the gold glitter and flaks. They look very nice on their own as well.






Happy Chinese New Year!

Comments (20)

On January 31, 2011 at 1:39 AM , Banana said...

Wow, they´re gorgeus! :D You´re so talented... ^^

 
On January 31, 2011 at 3:29 AM , Unknown said...

新年快乐~~^^
wah, it's interesting to see new techniques for acrylic, and yeap the outcome is quite cool, a bit like jelly, hehe...
cny eve is here soon and i'm still dragging to come out with cny nails! >< i guess i will still get the design done after reunion dinner, like usual.. :p

 
On January 31, 2011 at 8:26 AM , Jin said...

Thank you Banana!

 
On January 31, 2011 at 8:33 AM , Jin said...

新年快乐 Rachel! I am taking some days off during Chinese New Year cos my 外婆 is visiting me from Singapore!!! Yay. There's absolutely no 新年 feel over here. So hopefully with some time off and family members with me, I can enjoy it more this year. I am still planning my own new year nails too. 加油!

 
On January 31, 2011 at 10:08 AM , Silence is Loud said...

these are so pretty!!! i definitely love how the flowers look under the layer of gel!!

Nice to meet you~=D

 
On January 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM , Himi said...

i looove embedded nail art. it's like having secret layers on your nail haha. it looks so beautiful!
the imagination art liquid seems like a really handy product, they should make more colours =u=

 
On January 31, 2011 at 8:58 PM , Renate said...

this is GORGEOUS!!!
you have so much talent!!
I love all your mani's!!
they are the best!!

 
On February 1, 2011 at 8:27 AM , Jin said...

Nice to meet you too, Silence is Loud. I really like your nail art! Some if them must have taken you such a long time to complete.

 
On February 1, 2011 at 8:31 AM , Jin said...

Hi Himi, yes it's unfortunate they only have red, blue and yellow. But if you can definitely mix them to get more colours. I'm starting to like embedded nail art too.

 
On February 1, 2011 at 8:34 AM , Jin said...

Thank you, thank you Renate! I'm glad this turn out good. Only problem was that it's a bit messy filing the acrylic away. I had to wear a mask to prevent inhaling all those dust.

 
On February 1, 2011 at 9:01 AM , Janine said...

Wow you never fail to impress!

 
On February 2, 2011 at 8:33 AM , Jin said...

Thank you Janine!

 
On February 4, 2011 at 5:46 AM , Unknown said...

You should go to Singapore instead to breath the new year air with your 外婆 then! hehe..
and faster show your new year nails~~ can't wait to see ^^

btw, i must wish you
新年快乐
身体健康
事事如意~
gong xi gong xi... hehe..

 
On February 5, 2011 at 3:31 AM , Jin said...

Hi Rachel, 恭喜, 恭喜。 祝你身体健康, 心想事成, 事事顺利! 永远那么可爱, 美丽! 在这新年里, 你的 nail art 能够多姿多彩,更上一城楼。

我外婆今晚刚刚到 Perth. 我现在正在猛吃 ah mah 带来的新年黄梨饼! yum yum

我的新年 nail art 明天就会完成。 :)

 
On February 12, 2011 at 12:36 AM , Liane said...

Wow, the end result is amazing. I'm so impressed!

 
On February 12, 2011 at 4:46 PM , Jin said...

Thank you Ash-Lilly! I'm glad you like it ;)

 
On March 2, 2011 at 2:36 PM , ThRiSzHa said...

wow.. ur imagination is superb!!

 
On March 2, 2011 at 9:18 PM , Jin said...

Thank you Thriszha!

 
On August 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM , Jackie said...

Hi Jin, I LOOOOOVE these nails they are so beautiful. Do you do peoples nails from your home? If you do i would love to get mine done like this xo

 
On February 26, 2012 at 1:06 AM , Jin said...

Hi Jackie, thank you for loving these nails! Unfortunately I don't run a nail business. This is just my hobby at the moment but I am really considering to make it my job sometime in the future. If you're in Perth let me know, I am more than happy to do your nails as a friend :)